It’s been a while, my blog! There was time when I didn’t want to take a look for Google Analytics to check PV For a while later, I’m so worked up and want to post another review ^^;
And so, after a month trying this babe (some time ago I thought clay mask was a no-no for my face), here is my full analysis of the ingredients, plus swatch (I know it sounds ridiculous, it’s not even a lip cream, but I’m so reluctant to post my whole face!)
Naruko Purifying Clay Mask and Cleanser in 1
If you hardly heard about this brand before, it is quite famous in Taiwan. Niu Er, the founder of Naruko, has gained popularity in beauty industry because of his understanding about our needs to purchase affordable cosmetics but also effective to use. Can you believe he was actually graduated from med school in 1991 😱, he has a really youthful skin!
But I have good news and bad news. Sadly, Naruko IS NOT CRUELTY FREE. On the contrary, Naruko claims they against animal testing. Here’s the proof I got which could be traced in just a few seconds.
They also sell Chinese version of sheet masks; so I’m 100% sure Naruko is not absolutely animal testing free. Not because Naruko actually have done it. Animal testing for cosmetics sold in China is REQUIRED.
Put aside my preference in buying cosmetics, I bought this when there was a promotion on the Watson Indonesia app. With the price of Rp 99.000, I can get clay mask size 120 g! I really don’t want to try clay mask any more, because my skin doesn’t suit with Indoganic French Clay Mask formula. I’m giving this a try, and looks like this one proves otherwise.
Aqua, Kaolin, Lauryl Phosphate/Polyoxyethylene (1.0) Monoakyl (C12-15) Ethers Phosphates/Ethyhexylglycerin/Potassium Hydroxide/Dipropylene Glycol, Lauryl Glucoside, Hectorite, Glycerin, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc PCA, Phenoxyethanol, Snow Fungus Extract, Essential Oils of Tea Tree Leaf, Grapefruit, Lemon, Lime, Mentha Piperita, Spearmint, Pentylene Glycol, Glycolic Acid, Jojoba Esters, Allantoin, Menthol, Sodium Benzoate, PEG-7 Olivate, Camphor, Disodium EDTA, Tranexamic Acid, Proctone Otamine, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbanate, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Retinol, Polyquaternium-51, Phospholipids, Kalanchoe Spathulata Extract, Licorice Root Extract, Scutellara alpina Flower/Leaf/Stem, Peucedanum Ostruthium Leaf Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Arteemisia Umbelliformis Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Phytorefulin.
How To Use
Squeeze a quarter-sized amount and apply evenly over face or T-zone. After five minutes, rub and massage gently with water, then rinse thoroughly. For combination oily skin.
What You Should Know About The Ingredients
- Kaolin: Very effective for absorbing oil, made up of a hydrated silicate of aluminum. Kaolin is very gentle enough for sensitive skin and has been showed that it is non-irritating .
- Snow Fungus Extract, Essential Oils of Tea Tree Leaf, Grapefruit, Lemon, Lime, Mentha Piperita, Spearmint: Actually tea tree is used as an ad in this product, ranked 10th. Based on what I know, the more an ingredient is placed in the back, then the percentage is less, it would be better if included in the top 10 list. Signing in the top 10 proves that at least the advertisement written by Naruko is not completely a lie.
Tea tree itself has been proven to be an effective treatment to fight acne, as long as the dose is appropriate. Doctors recommend 5% topical tea tree to fight acne .
- Glycolic Acid: The most common AHA, the smallest molecular size; definitely smaller than lactic acid. Glycolic acid can work to do peeling as much as 4 times while in concentration 8-15 percent, usually this is circulating in the market. Only, because glycolic acid is not an active ingredient in this product, then its existence is not so influential in doing peeling.
- Retinol: A potential anti-aging ingredient. But here, retinol is not an active ingredient because it is in the middle order. Retinol can work effectively when it has 0.5% concentration. I doubt that this retinol has a concentration that can make us need to use sunscreen afterwards (although for different reasons, we still need to use sunscreen!)
- Kalanchoe Spathulata Extract, Licorice Root Extract, Scutellara alpina Flower/Leaf/Stem, Peucedanum Ostruthium Leaf Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Arteemisia Umbelliformis Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Phytorefulin: Here’s the fact-> plant extract is often the most heralded in marketing. If the concentration level is only 0.1%, the function is not as effective as the desired result. Therefore, although most plant extracts here look “wow-ing”, this does not really add value to the product.
For me, 2 heroes included here are kaolin and tea tree leaf extract. No need to worry while reading retinol in this product because the concentration is in minor level. You still need to wear sunscreen but not because of retinol in this product!
What This Product Tell Us
Because Naruko doesn’t use parabens as preservative, this seal helps secure product content. Naruko uses phenoxyethanol as a substitute for parabens, which could be considered milder alternative than paraben. The seal is a bit difficult to open, so it needs to be cut first.
The texture is a bit rough. This is because there are blue grains contained in the product. I think this is peppermint or spearmint in granular form. By the time I apply it to the skin, the sensation of menthol goes directly. In my opinion, it is refreshing and I like the fragrance as well. But I suggest that in the early use don’t apply it too thick, because it can be tangy on the skin.
In the instructions, using this about 5 minutes is actually enough. After that wash your face until clean. Once applied, the clay mask instantly harden in seconds. I usually use it about 10 minutes, and then wash my face.
Believe it or not, for the past month my acne did not show up at all! Even when I had my period. Actually the reason for acne appears influenced by many factors, but I think this clay mask does help also to keep your skin clear and fair!
The actual price is about Rp 149.000 (2017) using Watson Indonesia app , but I got it for Rp 99.000, New Year’s Eve discount! Well that is because the expiration date is in 2019 😂. Enough for a year. Other products are rather expensive.
Will I Repurchase?
Although it’s against my cruelty-free policy, I think this product is keeping its promise. I’m interested in buying it again because it’s great!
-  European Kaolin and Plastic Clays Association A.I.S.B.L, Skin & Eye Irritation Studies Performed on Kaolin and Clay, Summary Report, December 2005.
-  Bassett IB, Pannowitz DL, Barnetson RS., A Comparative Study of Tea Tree Oil versus Benzoyl Peroxide in The Treatment of Acne, 1990, 153(8):, 455-8.